Wednesday 27 November 2013

Imposed Project 3: Trees

Wham - lots of coloring, sketching techniques to learn in such a short amount of time. Next the class was asked to pick a tree in campus and sketch with the various techniques taught. I guess I have a barrier to overcome first, drawing with perspectives. I am caught unprepared. So I reached out to my aunt and my architecture friend and they both recommended that I "draw on the right side of the brain". It is a method promoted by Betty Edwards, first published in 1979. My key takeaway after reading this book is to draw naively like a child, without logic. Guide your pen to what you see. No questioning why. It is definitely a challenge for me, especially with my highly, logical brain.
I have paired my 4 year old's son's drawing next to mine. He copied what I drew. 

To create tonal values, I read Design Drawing by Francis DK Ching. In his book, he emphasized techniques for hatching, crosshatching, scribbling, stippling. I really hope that I can sketch so well that someday I can trick people into walking into a door when it is a wall. 

Along the same subject, on the next day, the students were asked to draw "life" portraits. This time, students were timed with 10 min frame, down to 7min frame and … 1 min frame. I tried my best to keep what Betty Edwards mentioned in her book. Much better this time. In fact, my work was selected as "special mention" on the student website. I was surprised how the longer minute work I drew did not get selected but the lesser minute frames were better and were selected. Maybe I drew well under intense pressure relative to other students in the class. Thanks to my corporate work training. 

7 minute drawing

5 minute drawing

3 minute drawing

1 minute drawing

7 minute drawing (selected)

5 minute drawing (selected)

3 minute drawing (selected)


1 minute drawing (selected)













No comments:

Post a Comment